Spinning

I've been feeling rather guilty about neglecting the blog lately, so I'm sharing a spinning project from some weeks ago. This was an experiment in blending colours using hand carders.
Originally, I wanted to mix some flashes of bright colours (pinks & reds) in with some greys - something I've admired in mixed fibre batts from LHogan, that grew up to become a hat.
In practise, the grey gotland fibre I selected was far too slippery for my liking. It did not blend at all with the brightly dyed merino.
The resulting yarn was somewhat marled & uneven in thickness & texture.
I came to the realisation that I could introduce the grey as a separate yarn in the finished knit object, whatever that may be, and carded the bright colours together in varying proportions. Some mini batts were dominated by deep purples, some pinks, and some red. I've also come to the conclusion that there is a place in my fibre stash for neon pink - it looks wonderful as a highlight with red fibre. 
The finished yarn is 135 metres, 110 grammes of chain-plied yarn, of about dk - aran weight. The colours are just calling to me in these short dull days... but I must get on with knitting some winter gifts first!

Comments

Popular Posts