Finished project ; Reversible Hooded Play Cape

My niece has just turned four.  Her most favourite thing at the moment is to 'be' Elsa from Frozen. So I thought she might appreciate an Elsa-coloured cape to swirl and flounce in. 
I used the Reversible Hooded Play Cape from Growing up; Sew Liberated by Meg McElwee.

I thought long & hard, & dragged out most of the fabric stash before settling on a red corduroy bought years ago combined with an aqua blue satin-ish fabric from Murphy Sheehy's, convinced that shiny fabric would be more 'princessy' in the mind of a 4 year old. 

I am a very inexperienced sewer; I have never actually used a commercial pattern before, but I found both the pattern and written instructions clear & thorough.


 I did learn a valuable lesson about fabric choices in this project. That shiny blue fabric slipped & moved like crazy during every stage of the project; the red corduroy also slipped in an entirely different direction. I've never been hugely accurate at cutting and sewing fabric, and as a result I ended up trimming off quite a bit of fabric from the edges.
Luckily, the fit of the project is not critical and I ended with a wearable cape. Though the only available model was far from impressed with being asked to sit or stand still....

For the record, I did try it on, and I am tempted to sew an adult sized version. I look forward to making dressing up clothes for my own little one when she is a little older. 

Comments

Popular Posts