Giving gifts

This winter I was adamant that I was not going to knit gifts for Christmas; I did not want the self-imposed pressure, especially after all the baby knits of the year.
However, I did cave every so slightly...

For the other knitter in my family, I spun up some roving from LHogan; this was a recent installment from Laura's delicious fibre club. I did not take process photos and did not take note of the finished length, but the recipient made the appropriate happy noises and yarn-squishing gestures.


And then, with about 2 weeks to go before Christmas, I decided to knit one single gift... or rather a pair, for my dear Nana. I couldn't bear to think of her having cold hands!


Pattern; Borough by Veronica O'Neil
Yarn; Mirasol Kutama from This is Knit
Buttons; from Studio 54, Blackrock.

Based on the recommended yarn (Blue Sky Alpacas Worsted) I assumed, in my last minute Christmas gift rush that an aran weight yarn would suit & sent the other half into my 'third home' (he works practically next door) to pick up some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran - a safe bet when knitting for others. The fabric was far too loose for the pattern. Cue an in-person visit to peruse yarn tags & recommended tension information; I settled on the Mirasol Kutama because it just seemed right.
Modifications; I knit the top of thumb in reverse stocking stitch (the garter stitch thumb would have been too thick). I also made the wrist length shorter; I only knit 3 inches of garter stitch for both yarn saving purposes & for ease of wearing with a full sleeved winter coat. I also added partial lining at the wrist in leftover malabrigo lace, as the yarn could be slightly prickly to very sensitive skin.
The mittens were well received, even if the weather has gotten warmer since the end of December. But mittens don't go off!!

Comments

  1. Beautiful, I love the handspun especially ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts